Singapore Previa Estima Club
Register for benefits today!
*October 22, 2014, 12:40 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 12:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
24841 Posts in 1836 Topics by 8906 Members - Latest Member: lyyhangwai
For newly-registered member, pls drop me a msg @ 9845 5611 with your username & email so that we can facilitate your activation promply
Search: Advanced search
Pre-order now for instant discounts!
* Home Help Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: CVT Oil Change  (Read 7366 times)
kooshkinus
Engine Idle

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2009, 03:45 PM »

Hi Guys,

I'm new here. Waiting to get my Estima X in a few weeks time. I used to own a RAV4 2.4 with CVT as well and was met with a dilemma back then when it comes to changing the CVT fluid.

That time (2006 i think), my RAV4 was due for a CVT oil change (40K already). As usual, went to He Xing and got a can of the CVT fluid (at $54, more expensive than the the typical ATF fluid) and bought the car to the usual workshop to get it changed. To my dismay, the mechanic is unfamiliar with CVT gearboxes and was looking for the filler tube to fill the CVT AFTER he drained the fluid. (And I'm not going to start with the fact that he thought the CVT fuild is the same as the typical ATF, it is NOT). He claimed that the filler tube is missing and was in the state of panic.

I told him to consult other mechanics who is familiar with CVT. He went into the office and came out 30 minutes later saying that he had to tow my car to another workshop to get the fluid pressure-pumped into the CVT. And I was like," Huh, pressure-pumped?". Apparently, he was told that the filler tube is actually at the bottom of the oil pan, near the drain plug. And was also told that this is unlike the Nissan CVT where the filler tube/hole is at the top.

Few days later, I got the car back but was having this uneasy feeling about the work that was done to fill the CVT with the fluid. Did he use the correct fluid? Did he use the right amount? Why on earth did Toyota put the filler tube at the bottom? And many sleepless nights later, I sold off the car.

Now, I am all set in getting the Estima as I thought that many workshops now would have more experience dealing with CVT and changing the fluid. Can some kind souls here give me the assurance that the CVT oil change is an easy affair now.

Also, I did not see the CVT oil change with my own eyes. Is it true that the filler tube is at the bottom? Is it true that the oil needs to be pumped into the sump via some pressured-oil-filling-machine-whatchamacallit?

kooshkinus
Engine Idle

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 03:48 PM »

Ok, I went to the following website and saw that the TUBE TRANSMISSION OIL FILLER, item #35125 is indeed at the bottom, right beside the drain plug.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_J_200603_TOYOTA_ESTIMA_ACR55W-GRXEK_3401.html

Why did Toyota (or Aisin) designed the CVT that way???
kooshkinus
Engine Idle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 04:13 PM »

Found out that Toyota now has a Type WS oil that is "suppose to last the lifetime of the car". Is that what the new Estima CVT uses? Also, "lifetime of the car" is a very relative statement. In countries outside of Singapore, the lifetime of the car is between 2-3 years.

Hmmmm
pearlwhiteAeras
1K RPM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:36 PM »

Type WS ATF fluid is still not suitable for our CVT transmission. We have to stick to CVT fluid.

Any bro change the transmission fluid before??
SBTADT
1K RPM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 04:46 PM »

Type WS ATF fluid is still not suitable for our CVT transmission. We have to stick to CVT fluid.

Any bro change the transmission fluid before??

Ho Bro,

I have just recently changed my CVT transmission oil after 42K. Did not ask my workshop how they did it, think it should be quite straight forward, and they know they have to use the original Toyota CVT oil. So far no issue after the change.

Silver Aeras 2.4
st
1K RPM

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 10:14 PM »

got mine changed in Team Sportivo when I added ATF Cooler

From bottom

But can't remember how
hkh
5K RPM

Aeras Pearl White

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:18 AM »

Hey i changed mine at Riverview 2 times so far so good Grin

Perfection Is The Ideal We Aim For,Imperfection Is The Reality We Work With Every Day.
kooshkinus
Engine Idle

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 01:17 PM »

phew, it's good to know that they are many places now can perform the CVT oil change. Now, i feel better (and worry-free) about getting my estima (should be next week : woohoo).

And it is true that the oil is filled from the bottom. I wonder why Toyota (Aisen) designed it that way.

Can any bros here indicate the average cost of changing the fluid? If cannot post the price here, a friendly PM is greatly appreciated.
Sir WRX
1K RPM

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 05:17 PM »

I've done mine at Riverview too - at the 40km service.  I wanted to use more high performance oil, but was advised to use the standard Toyota CVT oil, which I believe is a synthetic oil anyway.  The reason is because the CVT gearboxes are quite sensitive to oil, so its best to use the factory issued stuff.

For memory, the oil wasn't cheap.  I think it cost in the region of $100+.  But don't count me on that - I would need to check my receipt.

hkh
5K RPM

Aeras Pearl White

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 07:00 PM »

I've done mine at Riverview too - at the 40km service.  I wanted to use more high performance oil, but was advised to use the standard Toyota CVT oil, which I believe is a synthetic oil anyway.  The reason is because the CVT gearboxes are quite sensitive to oil, so its best to use the factory issued stuff.

For memory, the oil wasn't cheap.  I think it cost in the region of $100+.  But don't count me on that - I would need to check my receipt.

Hey bro its been a long time man.How you doing bro?hope you are fine.Ok it will cost about less than 200 for this CVT Oil replacement Grin

Perfection Is The Ideal We Aim For,Imperfection Is The Reality We Work With Every Day.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
« previous next »
Jump to: